Seriously This is Hot Stuff!

Saturday, February 02, 2008

I'm Often Wrong About Things

Dear You,


Let me be the first to admit it.
I'm often wrong about things.

When we first met I guessed that your favorite ice cream flavor was chocolate.
It turned out to be moose tracks.

I figured you for the type that didn't like cooking.
So naturally you surprised me for my birthday with an incredible veal cutlet.

I told you that my family probably wouldn't like you.
Now they have you over for cards like once a week.

I was wrong last week when we went shopping for that dress you liked in that magazine, and I was sure they wouldn't have it in your size.
It turns out that they did.

Forgive me for suggesting that Canadian Geese would make great pets. I thought I had read it somewhere. I thought I would never get the yard clear of feathers and animal droppings. Thank God winter came early this year.

I was wrong last week when we were watching Jeopardy and on a Double Jeopardy question where the category was All Things Must Pass for $600 I guessed it was La Plaza. It turned out to be La Plaz. At least I was close.

I was really wrong when I told you that the generic version of your favorite cereal would taste almost exactly the same. As a matter of fact it was kind of lousy.

I was quite mistaken when after dropping our remote control, I told you that you wouldn't be able to put it back together again because it was so messed up.

Remember when I told you that Orange Jell-O was going to be a cinch to make from scrap? Well you can safely put that one in the pile of things that I've been wrong about.

Or how bout the time I picked up that homeless guy who wanted a ride and I suggested that it might be interesting and that we might learn something. The only thing we learned was how quickly we wanted him out of the car.

And just last week I suggested to you that because of your exotic taste that you would probably love Buttermilk. I'll give you a hint regarding who was wrong about that. It wasn't you.

In fact, before we met I had this mistaken belief that I was in fact quite right most of the time. This too has been proven false.

What I mean is
Oftentimes when I don't know something I just make a conjecture about it and no one else but you will notice how off it is.
Sometimes I talk too much or say the wrong thing and I'm glad that you cut me off to prevent my wrongheadedness from going any farther.
After meeting someone and saying what I have to say I frequently say a little too much and get myself in trouble.
You're right. Most of my opinions I should keep to myself.
I'm not really as clean as I thought. Shirts shouldn't be worn 3 days in a row without being washed for any reason.
A lot of my ideas could really use some spit and polishing that I frequently don't take the time as you do to add depth and character to them.
And you're right. I should eat more.
So.
What I'm trying to say is really
I'm often wrong about things.
But I'm so glad that I wasn't wrong about you.

Labels: