Seriously This is Hot Stuff!

Friday, September 23, 2005

This is the greatest story ever told




Airliner Fakes Emergency so passengers can watch Soccer Game was a headline the other day on CNN.com. I read CNN.com religiously every day just so I can be on top of things that are important and so I can nod knowingly when you relate some breaking story to me thinking that I may not have heard about it. It's not true. I have heard about it. The funny part is, I'm relating this story to you because I don't think that you have heard about it.

And if you have, how come you haven't told me about it?

Here's the rundown as we know it:

A jet carrying 289 Gambian soccer fans and which happened to be chartered by Gambian Presidente Yahya Jammeh pretended it was low on fuel just so they could watch a Gambia verus Peru Fifa World Cup under 17 match. They made an emergency landing and watched the game in person.

I never cease to be amazed about the passion for "football" by crazed and insane fans around the world who will routinely bite someone's ear for insulting their local team, which is apparently held in higher esteem than their own mothers. Footballer fans will often riot if they disagree with a ref's call in a game, but I never imagined that they would essentially hijack a plane under false pretenses just to watch a soccer game or two.

This is definitely going in my new Idiot's Guide to Idiots.

Couldn't they have just tivoed it? Maybe they should have gotten the Dishnetwork soccer package for 89.95 which has access to all your favorite games. Save and record at the touch of a button! Only with Dishnetwork! and well...Tivo.

The strange part is that the greatest story ever really sounded nothing like this at all!