Seriously This is Hot Stuff!

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Here We Are Now Entertain Us

Here We Are Now Entertain Us

After flipping through my monthly free Rolling Stone magazine that I mostly despise that just came in to my mailbox today I was reminded of the words of Kurt Cobain some 12 odd years ago, “Here we are now, entertain us.” The glut entertainment of society has always produced a love/hate relationship by people who value things of real content, of real quality who want something told to them as if it really meant something and not just pounded out, rehashed, and served in heaping spoonfuls to the masses.

Reality tv and celebrity gossip brings us all together on a superficial level and reminds us all how unimportant we are compared to the cult of personality.

Kelly Clarkson doing punk rock is banality on its highest level. How are we supposed to believe her words if her essence is as changeable as hair color? Punk rock is supposed to be a way of being, of rebelling against what you see as an oppressive system

Yes, I did see a picture of little Miss Kelly in Rolling Stone. There was also a side column of celebrity news, which function as ads for the stars in question. It told me that Bo Bice just got out of the hospital. Normally these side columns do a little better in informing you who these people are. In this case, it should have read Bo Bice, singer. At least that’s what I’m assuming Bo Bice is. I think he was on that reality tv singing show whatever it’s called that I could care less about. I guess I’m supposed to rush out to Best Buy to purchase his latest “music”.

Admittedly my ambivalence towards mass entertainment probably has something to do with the fact that I produce my own entertainment. I’m quite at home anywhere I go producing my own amusement. My only problem is I need someone around to share it with.

Where are you someone?