Seriously This is Hot Stuff!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

I Hate NY #4 Spicy Brown Mustard


Today's topic may seem a little petty to a lot of you. Condiment choices may not seem like a big deal to a lot of people. Well it's not really a big deal until every time you want mustard you are handed that stupid bottle of Guldens Spicy Brown Mustard and all you want is regular ol yellow mustard.

Every time I bring this up to someone in New York they always say the same thing "What you don't like Spicy Brown Mustard?" I say "No. I like yellow mustard."

I just went to the Gulden's website and apparently it was invented at South Street Seaport, a notorious location for tourists, gawkers, and people with a lot of money and free time. It's no wonder that they like spicy brown mustard, they think its just what people use around here.

Ketchup and mustard are pretty much standard ingredients for pouring or slathering on a hot dog or a hamburger and you don't see New Yorkers using some special kind of Ketchup, NOOOO everyone here just uses plain old Hunt's and you don't see anyone complaining about that.

If you are reading this and you live in New York, ask yourself why it is that you use Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard, is it just because its what you've always reached for because it was your only choice?

New York City prides itself on its food and people continue to delude themselves by not thinking about their mustard options.

I would like to protest and bring packets of yellow mustard with me wherever I go and when I am offered a food item that requires mustard I could just reach for my packs and reject the Gulden's and say "no thank you I have my own mustard."

However, that would seem silly and reminds me too much of one of my half baked ideas of adulthood that involved taking condiment packets home and pouring them into my own condiment containers at home just to save money.

Later when I grew up I realized this was pointless and rejected the idea altogether.

I would like to call on all of my readers to not necessarily wholeheartedly reject Gulden's when it is offered, but instead to make a fuss to the establishment for not offering better choices in the mustard department.

Maybe one day I can live in a New York when yellow mustard is treated as the equal partner in the relationship with food that it deserves to be.

Labels: